Symptoms, Causes & Natural Remedies
Feline acne can affect cats of all ages and breeds. Unfortunately, it’s a relatively common skin issue for many kitties. It is characterized by the formation of small blackheads or pustules on the chin and lower lip area. While feline acne is typically not a serious health concern, it can cause discomfort and may require treatment. In this guide, we will explore the symptoms, causes, and natural treatments for feline acne to better understand and manage this condition.
Symptoms of Feline Acne:
Feline acne presents with various symptoms, which can include:
- Formation of blackheads: Small black dots or raised bumps on the chin and lower lip are the most common sign of feline acne.
- Redness and inflammation: The affected area may appear red, swollen, or tender to the touch.
- Itching and discomfort: Cats may start scratching or rubbing their chin/face against objects to relieve itching or discomfort.
- Hair loss: In more severe or untreated cases, hair loss or thinning may occur in the affected area.
- Secondary infections: If the acne sores become infected, there may be the presence of pustules or abscesses.
Causes of Feline Acne:
The exact cause of feline acne is not fully understood, but several factors may contribute to its development:
- Overactive oil glands (sebaceous glands): Excessive production of sebum, the oily substance that moisturizes the skin, can lead to clogged hair follicles and the formation of blackheads.
- Plastic food bowls: Some studies suggest that plastic food bowls can harbor bacteria and irritants that contribute to the development of feline acne. Using stainless steel, ceramic or glass bowls is recommended.
- Poor hygiene: Cats with poor grooming habits or those living in unsanitary conditions may be more prone to developing acne.
- Allergies: Certain environmental or food allergies may trigger feline acne for some cats.
- Stress: Stress can disrupt the balance of hormones and affect the skin’s health, potentially leading to acne.
Natural Treatments for Feline Acne:
There are many natural remedies that can help treat and relieve feline acne. A few option are:
- Warm compresses: Apply a warm, damp cloth to the chin area for a few minutes to help open up the pores and facilitate the removal of debris.
- Dietary adjustments: Switching to a high-quality, species appropriate cat food can help reduce the occurrence of feline acne, especially if food allergies are suspected.
- Environmental changes: Ensure your cat’s living area is clean and free of potential irritants. Discontinue use of plastic feeding dishes or water bowls. Wash bedding regularly and provide a stress-free environment.
- Herbal remedies: Certain herbal remedies – like calendula, aloe vera gel, or chamomile – have soothing and healing properties.
- Natural remedies: Natural products like Oxy-Cat and organic coconut oil have anti-microbial properties that can help heal feline acne quickly.
By recognizing the symptoms and understanding the causes of feline acne, this condition can be easily helped – and avoided in the future. Evaluating your cat’s environment and implementing natural treatments will help manage and treat feline acne effectively. With proper care, most cats with feline acne can quickly experience relief and a return to healthy skin.
Recommended Product for Feline Acne
Oxy-Cat 1 oz
Oxy-Cat is perhaps our most multifaceted product. Used internally, this easy-to-add liquid contains powerful anti-viral and anti-fungal properties and balances the pH levels of stomach acid in our friendly felines. It also oxidizes and cleanses toxins and free radicals without harming the beneficial flora of the gut. Used topically, this pawsome formula fights parasites and heals wounds. Used in a vaporizer, Oxy-Cat will provide respiratory support, breaking up congestion in the chest. It’s a must-have for every kitty household!
Size: 1 ounce (click here for larger size)
100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
- Digestive Health
- Respiratory Support
- Ear mites
- Feline Herpes
- Chin Acne
- Dental Support
- Oxalate Stones/Crystals
- Rashes, Cuts, Abrasions
- pH Balance
- And Much More!
In stock (can be backordered)