Liver Disease in Cats
Symptoms, Causes & Natural Remedies
Liver disease is a common and serious health condition that can affect cats of all ages and breeds. The liver plays a crucial role in the cat’s body by filtering toxins and waste products from the bloodstream and producing essential proteins and enzymes. When the liver is damaged, it can’t perform these functions properly, leading to a variety of symptoms and complications. In this guide, we’ll explore the symptoms, causes, and natural remedies for liver disease in cats.
Symptoms of Liver Disease in Cats
The symptoms of liver disease in cats can vary depending on the severity and type of the condition. Some common symptoms of liver disease in cats include:
- Jaundice – yellowing of the skin, eyes, and gums
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Increased thirst and urination
- Lethargy and weakness
- Behavioral changes, such as hiding or aggression
- Swollen abdomen and/or fluid buildup in the abdomen
- Changes in the color and texture of the cat’s coat
Causes of Liver Disease in Cats
There are many possible causes of liver disease in cats, including:
- Sudden loss of appetite or significant decrease in eating habits (anorexia)
- Infectious diseases, such as feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and feline infectious peritonitis (FIP)
- Exposure to toxins, including pesticides, cleaning products, and certain medications
- Obesity and poor nutrition
- Inherited genetic disorders, such as hepatic amyloidosis and portosystemic shunts
- Cancer or tumors
- Trauma or injury to the liver
- Other underlying medical conditions, such as diabetes or hyperthyroidism
Natural Remedies for Liver Disease in Cats
While conventional veterinary treatments, such as medications and surgery, are often necessary for treating liver disease in cats, there are also natural remedies that can be used to support the liver and improve overall health. Here are some natural remedies that are helpful for cats with liver disease:
- Milk Thistle – Milk thistle is a natural herb that has been shown to protect the liver and promote regeneration of liver cells. It can be given to cats in the form of a capsule or liquid extract.
- Dandelion – Dandelion root is another herb that can support liver function by increasing bile flow and improving digestion. It can be given to cats as a tea or tincture.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Omega-3 fatty acids, found in fish oil, can reduce inflammation and improve liver function in cats with liver disease. It can be given to cats in the form of a capsule or liquid supplement.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E is an antioxidant that can protect the liver from damage caused by free radicals. It can be given to cats as a supplement or added to their food.
- SAMe – S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) is a natural compound that can help improve liver function and reduce inflammation. It can be given to cats as a tablet or powder.
Liver disease is a serious condition that requires prompt veterinary care. However, by recognizing the symptoms and causes of liver disease in cats, and by using natural remedies to support liver function, cat owners can help improve their cat’s overall health and quality of life. If you suspect that your cat may be suffering from liver disease, it’s important to consult with your veterinarian for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
Recommended Product for Liver Disease
CATalyst Antioxidant Enzyme Formula – 2 oz
An all-in-one, Grade-A supplement that helps support your cat’s joint function, immune system, digestive health, kidney health, skin & coat as well as free radical reduction. Our powerful Liquid Antioxidant Formula helps optimize the whole health of your fine feline very quickly!
100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
Key Ingredients: Lipase, Amylase, Catalase, Protease & Superoxide Dismutase
2-4 month supply – depending on cat weight & bottle size purchased.
- Joint Support
- Immunity Support
- Digestive Health
- Shedding / Skin & Coat
- Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome
- And Much More!
In stock (can be backordered)