Itchy Skin in Cats
Symptoms, Causes & Natural Remedies
Cats are amazing creatures that can make wonderful companions, but they are subject to certain health issues, one of which is itchy skin. Itchy skin in cats can be caused by a variety of factors, all of which are uncomfortable for your kitty. In this guide, we’ll discuss the symptoms, causes, and natural treatments for itchy skin in cats.
Symptoms of Itchy Skin in Cats
Itchy skin in cats can manifest in a number of ways, including:
- Scratching or licking the skin excessively
- Redness and swelling of the skin
- Scabbing or crusting of the skin
- Hair loss or thinning of the coat
- Bumps or lumps on the skin
- Dry, flaky skin
If your cat is exhibiting any of these symptoms, it’s important to determine the underlying cause so that you may address the problem properly.
Causes of Itchy Skin in Cats
There are several possible causes of itchy skin in cats, including:
- Allergies: Cats can be allergic to a variety of substances, including certain foods, pollen, dust, and fleas. Allergic reactions can cause itchy skin and even hair loss.
- Parasites: Fleas, mites, and lice can all cause itchy skin in kitties. Parasites can be difficult to spot, so it’s important to take your cat to the vet for an accurate diagnosis.
- Feline acne: Appearing as small bumps, similar to human pimples, feline acne can cause your cats to itch and scratch the effected area.
- Nutritional deficiencies: A nutritionally inadequate diet (unbalanced or inappropriate) has been known to cause the skin to become inflamed, creating itchy skin in cats.
- Infections: Bacterial, fungal, and yeast infections can all cause itchy skin as well. These infections can sometimes be secondary to other underlying medical conditions, such as allergies.
- Insect bites: Wasp, bees, mosquitoes, flies & midges can sting or bite your kitty, causing serious itchy skin.
- Underlying medical conditions: More rarely, itchy skin can be a symptom of underlying medical conditions, like hyperthyroidism, liver disease, or kidney disease.
Natural Treatments for Itchy Skin in Cats
If your cat has itchy skin, there are several natural treatments you can try to provide relief. We do not recommend to simply treat the symptoms without addressing the root cause. Many veterinarians will prescribe a hypoallergenic diet for cats with itchy skin, but this is only a temporary solution and is not recommended long term.
- Meow Mist Plus: A natural, fine mist solution for itchy or infected skin in cats caused by wounds, rashes, stings, bites and hot spots.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce inflammation and improve skin health. You can add a fish or krill oil supplement to your cat’s diet or offer them foods that are high in omega-3s, such as sardines.
- Aloe vera: Use the inner gel of the aloe vera plant to help soothe and moisturize itchy skin. You can apply it directly to the affected area or look for a cat-friendly aloe vera spray.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar can help relieve itching and prevent infections. Mix equal parts apple cider vinegar and water, and apply it to your cat’s skin using a cotton swab.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can help soothe itchy skin. It is also a natural antimicrobial and can help clear up numerous skin issues in cats. You can apply it directly to the affected area and/or give it to your cat orally.
- Manuka honey: Applying manuka honey to the itchy skin can help manage skin infections like acne, hot spots and lick dermatitis.
- Chamomile: Using a cool chamomile tea bag on the itchy skin can cause a soothing effect.
Itchy skin in cats can be caused by a variety of factors, and it’s important to know the underlying cause of the irritation in order to resolve the issue. There are several natural treatments you can try to provide relief. By working with your integrative vet and using these natural treatments, you can help keep your cat comfortable and healthy.
Recommended Product for Itchy Skin
Meow Mist Plus
Meow Mist Plus spray is a safe, natural, and effective way to help your kitty’s topical issues! From wounds and rashes to runny eyes and itchy skin – say goodbye to tough topical conditions and hello to a healthier, happier cat! Great for dogs too!
100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
- Itchy Skin
- Runny Eyes
- Insect Bites
- And Much More!
In stock (can be backordered)
You Might Also Be Interested In ...
Skin problems in cats seem to be on the rise. Environmental and food allergies, yeast and...
Cats with skin issues can be tough to handle sometimes. If you have a cat with seborrhea, there...
Cats get dandruff too! Just like humans, cat dandruff can be uncomfortable and itchy. There are...