Autoimmune Disease in Cats
Symptoms, Causes & Natural Remedies
Autoimmune diseases are a group of conditions where the body’s immune system mistakes its own organs as invaders and attacks healthy cells and tissues. Cats are susceptible to various autoimmune diseases, which can affect different parts of their bodies – and their quality of life. In this guide, we’ll discuss the symptoms, causes, and natural remedies for autoimmune diseases in cats.
Symptoms of Autoimmune Diseases in Cats:
The symptoms of autoimmune diseases in cats can vary depending on the affected organs. However, some common symptoms include:
- Weight loss: Autoimmune diseases can affect a cat’s appetite, leading to weight loss.
- Lethargy: Cats with autoimmune diseases may seem more tired than usual and have a decreased interest in their surroundings.
- Skin Issues: Autoimmune diseases can cause skin issues in cats, such as rashes, hair loss, ulcers and scabs.
- Digestive Issues: Cats with autoimmune diseases can experience digestive issues such as diarrhea, vomiting, and constipation.
- Joint Pain: Some autoimmune diseases can cause joint pain and stiffness in cats.
- Eye Problems: Autoimmune diseases can cause eye problems in cats, such as conjunctivitis, uveitis, and keratitis.
Causes of Autoimmune Diseases in Cats:
The exact cause of autoimmune diseases in cats is still unknown. However, certain factors can trigger an autoimmune response in cats, including:
- Over-vaccinations: More research and many veterinarians are finding a direct link to autoimmune disease after pets receive too many vaccines. While vaccines are designed to trigger an immune response, too many vaccines can backfire, triggering autoimmune issues.
- Drugs: According to Veterinary Centers of America (VCA), some drugs can also cause autoimmune disease in cats.
- Genetics: Certain breeds of cats are more prone to autoimmune diseases than others, suggesting a genetic component.
- Infections: Infections can trigger an autoimmune response in cats.
- Environmental Factors: Exposure to certain chemicals, toxins, or pollutants can trigger autoimmune diseases in cats.
- Diet: Poor nutrition and exposure to food allergens can also contribute to the development of autoimmune diseases in cats.
Natural Treatments for Autoimmune Disease in Cats:
While there’s no cure for autoimmune disease in cats, natural treatments can help manage the symptoms and improve your cat’s quality of life. Here are some natural treatments to consider:
- Titer testing: If your cat has ever been vaccinated, running a titer test (which tests for antibodies) can help prevent over-vaccination… which can lead to autoimmune diseases. Cats that have an autoimmune disease should never be vaccinated.
- Diet: A healthy, species appropriate diet can help manage the symptoms of autoimmune diseases in cats. A balanced diet rich in protein and antioxidants can help boost your cat’s immune system.
- Supplements: Supplements such as omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics, and antioxidant enzymes can help reduce inflammation and support overall health.
- Homeopathy: Homeopathic remedies such as Arsenicum album, Natrum muriaticum, and Thuja occidentalis can help manage the symptoms of autoimmune diseases in cats. If your cat has autoimmune disease due to the rabies vaccine, Lyssin can also help.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture can help relieve pain and improve your cat’s overall well-being.
- CBD Oil: CBD oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help manage the symptoms of autoimmune diseases in cats. Make sure to use a full-spectrum CBD oil for this.
- Medicinal mushrooms: Turkey tail, Reishi, Shiitake, Maitake, Chaga, Artist conk & Red belted conk are medicinal mushrooms that can help cats with autoimmune disease.
Autoimmune diseases in cats can be challenging to diagnose and manage. The symptoms can vary, and the causes are still unclear. However, with proper management and natural treatments, cats with autoimmune diseases can live a happy and comfortable life.
Recommended Product for Autoimmune Disease
CATastic Wellness Kit
This CATastic Wellness Kit is exactly what every cat needs to be and stay at optimal health levels. Did you know that the food we feed them isn’t enough? There are key enzymes missing in all of our fur babies processed foods that are needed for overall health and longevity of life. Keep your kitties immunity, digestive & respiratory health in tip top condition by supplementing these simple liquid formulas into their daily diets!
- Digestive Support
- Respiratory Support
- Skin/Coat Support
- Recovery Time
- General Health Maintenance
- And Much, Much More!
You Might Also Be Interested In ...
We talk a lot about the importance of hydration for our cats - but what could it mean if you see...
The findings of this study by the Environmental Working Group are significant for anyone trying to...
Being prepared for a healthy spay and neuter recovery is just as important as the procedure...