Bladder Stones in Cats
Symptoms, Causes & Natural Remedies
Bladder stones, also known as urolithiasis, is a common condition in cats that can cause discomfort, pain, urinary tract infections and even blockages. In this guide, we will discuss the symptoms, causes, and natural treatments for bladder stones in cats.
Symptoms of Bladder Stones in Cats
The signs and symptoms of bladder stones in cats can vary depending on the size, number, and location of the stones. However, some common signs of bladder stones in cats include:
- Urinary tract infections
- Blood in the urine
- Straining to urinate
- Painful urination
- Frequent urination
- Loss of appetite
- Crying out in pain during urination
If you notice any of these symptoms in your cat, it is important to take them to the vet quickly.
Causes of Bladder Stones in Cats
Bladder stones in cats can be caused by a variety of factors. Some common causes of bladder stones in cats include:
- Diet: Cats that are fed a dry diet high in magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium are at a higher risk of developing bladder stones.
- Dehydration: Cats that do not drink enough water or are fed a dry only diet are more likely to develop bladder stones.
- Urinary tract infections: Cats with a history of urinary tract infections are more likely to develop bladder stones.
- Genetics: Some breeds of cats are more prone to developing bladder stones than others. Some breed that are more susceptible to this condition include Persian, Himalayan, Siamese and Burmese cats.
- Obesity: Overweight cats are more likely to develop bladder stones.
Natural Treatments for Bladder Stones in Cats
If your cat has been diagnosed with bladder stones, your vet may recommend surgery or medication to dissolve the stones. However, there are also natural treatments that can help prevent and treat bladder stones in cats. Some natural remedies for bladder stones in cats include:
- Increasing water intake: Encouraging your cat to drink more water can help prevent bladder stones from forming.
- Changing your cat’s diet: Feeding your cat a diet low in magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium can help prevent bladder stones from forming, according to some research. A moist food diet is also very important to prevent bladder stones.
- Adding supplements to the food: Adding supplements such as cranberry extract, vitamin C, and marine oil to your cat’s diet can help prevent bladder stones from forming.
- Herbal remedies: Herbs such as nettle, dandelion, and marshmallow root can help support your cat’s urinary tract health.
- Homeopathy: Homeopathic remedies such as Berberis vulgaris and Cantharis can be effective in treating bladder stones in cats.
Herbalist, Rita Hogan’s, remedy for bladder stones:
Marshmallow Root ( Althaea officinalis ) cooling and moisturizing
Parts Used: Root
Constituents: arabinans, flavonoids, mucilage, phenolic acid,
Combination: combines well with couch grass.
Glcyerite: 4 drops of extract per 10lbs, twice daily before eating
Cold Water Infusion: mix powder or chopped root with slightly hot water and mix and let sit until thicker. You can also do a cold water infusion, let sit overnight and then strain in the morning. Last 3 days in fridge. / Standard infusion dosage schedule.
Bladder stones in cats can be a painful and uncomfortable condition. By recognizing the symptoms, understanding the causes, and utilizing natural treatments, you can help prevent and treat bladder stones in your cat. If you suspect that your cat may have bladder stones, it is important to take them to the vet as soon as possible for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Recommended Product for Bladder Stones
Our all-natural UrinaryCAT Plus is the formula your cat needs to promote optimum urinary tract health and healing. This liquid product promotes acidity in your cat’s urine, creating a pH balance that protects against urinary tract problems. Great for eliminating UTIs in cats.
100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
- UTIs, Bladder Stones & Urine Crystals
- Eliminating Harmful Urinary Tract Bacteria
- Strengthening Bladder Lining
- Reducing Inflammation
- Improving Immune Function
- Promoting Quicker Healing
Our liquid supplement is easy to use and made with naturally occurring organic ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and Helix water.
In stock (can be backordered)