Did you know that you can save a lot of money and lessen the risk of elimination issues if you make your own litter box for your kitty? It’s super easy to do and can be done in a matter of minutes!
Did you know that size really does matter? Well in the case of litter boxes it does anyway. Most store bought litter boxes are too small for most kitties. Our cats like comfort when eliminating. Imagine having to go and the only toilet available is the size Will Ferrell had to use at the North Pole in the movie Elf. That would not be ideal! Our cats should be able to eliminate comfortably and not feel cramped. If they don’t feel comfy in their box they might find a place around the house to do their business.
So what do we suggest! An inexpensive storage bin you can pick up at your local home improvement store to make your own litter box.
Follow these simple steps:
- Be sure to pick a good size storage bin that measures at least as long as your cat is from his nose to his tail or better yet 1.5 times that size.
- Decide where you want the opening and draw an outline of where you will be cutting.
- For easier cutting you can heat up the area where you are going to cut. You can use a blow dryer, a heat gun or use one of those long neck lighters.
- It’s very important to do this step outside as heated plastic leaches toxins you don’t want to be breathing them in nor do we want your cats breathing them in!
- Use a utility knife or a sharp pair of scissors and cut out the opening/door leaving about 2 to 4 inches to hold the litter.
- Wrap it up by heating the cut plastic again around the opening to smooth the rough edges and place the box in a quiet location.
Voila! An inexpensive way to make a great litter box that is easy to scoop and your kitties will love!